These are the seven sins of haircare, most of us are guilty of at least one. It’s time to stop sinning and gain access to hair heaven!
1. Brushing wet hair – When hair is wet its at its most vulnerable. Brushing wet hair pulls at the root and the thinly spaced bristles can snag and can cause the hair to snap. Use a wide tooth comb to eliminate tangles on wet hair as the teeth are widely spaced and glide easier through hair, causing much less damage.
2. Over conditioning your hair – A lot of us are committing a major conditioner crime by over conditioning our locks. Conditioner should only be used on the mid sections and ends of the hair were the scalps natural oils don’t reach. Adding conditioner to the roots which are already coated with natural oils, will cause limp, lifeless hair.
3. Apply product to soaking wet hair – We have all done it your in a rush, so we try to speed up getting ready by applying moose or leave in conditioner on our freshly washed barnet straight after stepping out the shower. However doing this you’re wasting product. Wet hair isn’t as porous so your products just slip off the strands rather attach to the hair shaft. Apply your products to damp hair to make the most of your products.
4. Rubbing your hair with a towel – Rubbing the hair shaft with a towel disrupts the hair cuticle, damaging hair. Which in turn creates frizz and makes hair less manageable. Instead use your towel to wrap around the hair, then press lightly with the towel to help soak up as much water as possible.
5. Over washing hair – A lot of us with greasy hair feel the need to wash our hair daily some even wash their hair multiple times a day. However this is one of the worst things you can do as this strips the hair of natural oils. Hair often becomes greasy when the scalp produces too much sebum, so when you wash your hair you actually stimulate the sebum glands making them produce more oil. In turn making your hair greasier. Need to freshen up greasy locks try a dry shampoo.
6. Leaving split ends – Ignoring split ends is a sin most of us are guilty of at some point. As much as I wish there was a miracle treatment to repair split ends. Remedies and treatments may make them look better or at best temporarily seal them together. The only way to get rid of split ends is to have them cut off. Split ends are a lot like ladders in a pair of tights when left they travel up the shaft and continue to split unless stopped and cut off.
7. Not Leaving conditioner on long enough – Another conditioner crime! No matter how much you have spent on a product you wont get the most of the product if you wash it straight out. To make the most of a conditioner, you need to let the conditioner penetrate the hair. After applying conditioner leave it on for a few minutes before washing off. This will give the time to let the conditioner go to work.
Which hair care sins do you commit? Will you be changing your sinning ways? Are you guilty of any other hair crimes?